We all have our favorite “likes” on Facebook, and one of mine is The Bank Street Bookstore. Andy posted this list from the librarian of the Bank Street School:
7 Ways to Make Summer Reading a Non-Chore!
- Studies show that kids read more when they see others reading-so make time to read yourself, where your kids can see you!
- To understand what your child may be feeling about reading-as-chore, read Summer Reading is Killing Me by Jon Scieszka.
- Reading as a leisure activity is the best predictor of comprehension, vocabulary and reading speed. Reading is not just novels; it can be picture book, non-fiction, magazines, comics and audiobooks.
- Kids often report that they have a hard time finding books they like. If that happens, have a friend recommend books. This often works better than a suggestion from an adult!
- Plan regular trips to the library to refresh your reading options.
- Visit bookstores for author events and story hours.
- Make book store visits a treat. Give them a set amount of money and just let them choose what they want!
Have a good reading summer!
– Jan Murphy